I did something today that I have never done before in my life: I went to visit my son in his apartment and took him to lunch! It was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed talking to him about how things are going and sharing what's happening at home with everyone else. Jacob has grown up to be a fine young man and now that he has graduated from college is making his way through the world. He is doing fine with Jimmy John's and may get some different opportunities with them that could take him far, far away. While I don't want to see him go I think it's exciting that he has these opportunities ahead of him and look forward to seeing which ones he takes and what he accomplishes.
It was funny - after we got back from lunch we sat at his table talking about stuff. He is ready the "Communist Manifesto", which scares me, but explained that he wants to know both sides of the discussion so decided to read it. I cautioned him on being too open and to be careful what thoughts he let in to his head, but also told him that I was reading Saul Alinsky's "Rules for Radicals" for the same reasons. While we were sitting there talking I flashed back to when he was 2 or 3 years old and was sitting at the table eating and telling me something while I was changing out the garbage bag. It was a good memory, but it was a weird experience to remember him that way while talking to a grown-up young man. The joys of parenthood continue!