Our church started a 6-week series entitled "One Month to Live" this past Sunday. Our pastor told us all about it, and how he was going to send out daily devotionals, and how this would have a big impact on our lives. I held my tongue while in and after church, but I went to the website listed on the greeen bracelet they gave me to wear and learned all about the book and the authors. I bought and downloaded the ebook and read the intro and day 1, and have been worked up ever since.
Well, when I get worked up about stuff I usually talk about it home. Sue has gotten to hear my rants on the subject, but this afternoon she told me she "didn't want to hear that phrase" anymore. She explained that her father died in august, and my saying I was living like I had one month to live was upsetting her. This is a reaction I expected, but I didn't expect it so soon. I am saddened that the series our church is doing will make her dwell on an extremely sad time in her life, and am bothered that because of her life experience I won't get to talk about it with her. I expect many tears to flow over the coming weeks.
I have started a blog to dump my thoughts on. I really don't like the ideas this book is promoting, and am bothered by the idea that my life isn't worth a whole lot until I live like I am dying. I understand and accept my mortality, but I prefer to live for the long term and let God handle it if He cuts things short. I run in to issues with people that blow me off and that live for the short-term pleasures and successes.
Well, we'll see how "my one month to live experience" goes. You'll have to search for the blog :-)