Monday, June 22, 2015

Good mission trip to Honduras

 After helping Sue go on mission trips over the past few years I finally got to go on one myself.  Stephen and I went to Honduras with a group of 18 people from our church to provide some medical clinic things to people in the city of San Pedro Sula and out in the country at an orphanage.  It was a good experience for me - at times I felt way outside my comfort zone, but at times I also felt like I was a valued part of the team.  I helped keep things organized as we prepared for the trip, and at the end tried to drive some of the preparations as the team slowly came together.  During the trip I pushed hard at the beginning of the week but then pulled back on my pressure to keep a timetable and get things done as we finished doing things. 

Everyone complained about the heat down there but it felt more like when I was growing up in central Florida than anything else.  The countryside was beautiful, with a lot of browns in the green of the tropical foliage.  It was strange to see mountains that were green and brown all the way up to the top, but they seemed to be more volcanic than the tectonic plates crashing into each other kind I'm used to seeing.  The rivers were all brown with mud, but all of it mixed to together into it's own kind of beauty. 

As we prepared for the trip our leaders said over and over not to drink the water, don't eat the ice, etc. in their effort to help us avoid Montezuma's revenge.  But when we got down there they told the group to go ahead and drink the water, even with ice in it, saying it was filtered so should be safe.  Needless to say everyone else had stomach issues but I had none as I stuck with the bottled water we bought at the local warehouse store. 

I put together a video of the trip when we got back, spending lots of hours here and there in the rush of the return week to get it ready.  Sadly the church felt like it was too low quality to use in the service, but through the power of the internet it is available anyways here. 

Going on a mission trip to share the love of the Lord with people in Honduras was a great experience for me.  I highly encourage getting out of the country and out of your comfort zone when you get the chance because it changes your perspective and opens you to new thoughts and ideas!