Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Running in sandals is fun!

Last year I read an article on how people lose brain capacity because of a lack of stimulation to their feet.  We tend to put cushioned shoes on as we get older and we lose touch with the ground more and more.  The advice in the articles was to go barefoot when possible. 

Well, I have tender feet.  I found Xero shoes, a company that makes very thin sandals, and tried them out.  I love these sandals! People look at me funny and I feel goofy wearing them but it's just like being barefoot! I wore them all last summer and most of this summer. 

I started running in them and it has revolutionized my running.  I don't have the heel pain that was developing, my hips don't hurt like my brother's hips hurt him, and I feel more connected than ever.  I ran in them in the sand this week at Carney Island and had a blast! The only issue was how dirty my feet were. 

I hope I can continue wearing them through the fall.  It gets a little cold in the winter so I hope Xero shoes is coming out with something covered soon...