Sunday, February 15, 2009

Good but hard to see innocence

I had a good time with the Cub Scouts on our trip to the Yorktown over in Charleston, SC. The boys did good, and everyone had a lot of fun exploring the ship and all the history there.

One thing happened, though, that caused me to pause: I went up to the berth area to get something and found the bag with the army men one of my sons had bought just sitting on top of their suitcase. My first thought was that they should have hidden it in their bag so no one would steal it. It would have been so easy for one of the hundreds of boys that walked by to just pick the bag up and keep walking, and no one have even known until we came up later and my boys couldn't find their souvenir.

And here's where I paused: Neither Stephen nor Kevin even considered that someone would take their stuff. They haven't had something of value taken from them by another human being, and so just didn't think about it.

Sometimes I'm bothered by what I know others are capable of, and I often think about what I have said about others and why I think of them that way. It would be so nice to be as trusting as my boys are right now, but I know too much and just can't do it.

Oh, well, just a thought that I paused on...